One of the most common New Year’s Resolutions is to lose weight. But sadly, most people fail at this goal. In my new series, New Year, New You, I will be tackling how to achieve your New Year’s Resolutions. The first one of this series is how to improve your body/health.
- No more soda! Soda is, just to put it plainly, terrible for your body. It rots your teeth and has no nutritional value. Cutting it from your diet will not only help you lose weight(because your cutting calories) but it will help your body feel better.
- Don’t drink your calories! The worse part of drinking your calories is many people are unaware of how many empty calories they’re drinking when they’re on their second bottle of juice or alcohol. The only things you should be drinking is water, milk, and homemade smoothies. Most other drinks have a high sugar and/or fat content.
- Exercise at least 3-5x a week! Most people just exercise to lose or maintain weight but exercising has so many amazing health benefits that I can’t name them all. And plus, when you exercise you release endorphins causing you to be in a better mood. So get off you butt and move around.
- Do strength training! Muscles=More calories burned throughout the day. Having muscle also gives you a leaner appearance. Try one of my workouts, Pilates, lifting weights, etc.
- Have a fruit/veggie with every meal! It’s no surprise that fruits and vegetables have a lot of valuable vitamins and minerals. It’s also no surprise, that most of us don’t eat as many as we should. Change that by adding one fruit or vegetable to every meal.
- Drink at least 8 glasses(4 bottles) of water a day! I have a previous post on the benefits so I’ll keep this one brief. Water is amazing for you, so drink it!
- Sleep more!(at least 6-8 hours a night) As a high school student, I have so much trouble with this so I feel your pain. But it’s been proven that people who sleep about 8 hours a night weigh less than those who sleep less. So get your butt to bed in a timely manner!
Most people will fall off the wagon and do not reach their New Year’s Resolution of losing weight. Be the person that stays on and reaches their goal weight/body with these tips.(PS. Also check out my how to lose weight post!)